Back in January, I wrote this blog post about how women can undermine each other when it comes to supporting each other's beauty.
Lately, I keep going back to the concept of beauty and how important it is to so many of us. I know this, because my clients talk about it all the time. And, it's important to me, too.
It's a big part of my work to help each woman recognize and nurture the special, unique beauty that is inside herself. Once she makes friends with her beauty, the outside world gets a chance to see it, too.
I thought it would be fun to ask women of a certain age (some of them friends, some of them fans of The Dynamic Divorcée on Facebook, and some of them clients) what makes them feel beautiful. Here's some of what they said:
- An unexpected compliment.
- Putting a smile on someone else's face.
- Feeling confident, strong for those around me when they need it, helping animals in need and basking in the joy that is my family.
- Finding out that I helped someone, taught a class well, and women learned a lot of new things. (I love watching the light bulbs go on over their heads!)
- A day at the spa.
- Getting a sincere hug from a family member (chosen or blood).
- Wearing something new & funky & colorful and receiving positive comments.
- When I don't care what others think of me.
- When I let my guard down and just be me.
- I feel beautiful when I laugh.
- When I am able to help a friend, I feel beautiful.
- When I paint my nails a flashy color.
- Getting in a good workout to strengthen my body and reset my mind.
- When I wear nice lingerie.
- When I feel strong, on the inside or physically.
- I feel beautiful when I wear heels.
- When people compliment me cause I am 43yrs old and they think I am in my early 30s.
- I feel beautiful when I dance salsa, bachata, and flamenco.
- Pedicure with hot rocks.
- Night on the town with my girlfriends.
- Dressing up on the outside makes me feel better on even the worst days.
- Being able to be myself and having time to explore my interests.
- A sweet compliment from a friend.
- Keeping my grey hairs colored.
- When I wear something (especially crafty jewelry) that has a story to it that connects me to someone, even if that someone is the person who made it.
- Feeling the sunshine on my face.
- Pursuing my passions and living with heart, optimism, and compassion. What's on the inside can't help but be reflected on the outside.
I can't help but draw your attention to the fact that not one person said that a man had to be involved in order for her to feel beautiful. It really is an inside job!
Looking for a little beauty inspiration? Try some of the top "I feel beautiful" suggestions on this list. All the women who contributed to this list send you their love. Mwah!