Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Start a love affair. With yourself.

Have you been in the situation where you longed and longed for one of the men in your life to support you, to show he understands what you really need, even to come to the rescue in a major, seemingly unending, struggle?

You keep thinking, as the months go by, "Surely, once he sees how bad a situation this is, he'll comfort me, and show me that his words of love are more than just something to say."

Nothing happens.  No help arrives.  You feel weaker and weaker as you keep on fighting the dragons alone.

None of this is news.  It's part of modern -- so-called -- love.  It might be happening to you right now.

Here's the revelation that came to me in the grocery today.

I want to ask you:  Do you find that you begin to treat yourself worse and worse because of the way he treats (or treated) you?  Do you find that you're punishing yourself for not being able to win his love?

Just as I began to ponder this, a great 1980s song began to play (as I reached for the 32 oz. hot giardiniera).  While I listened to it (and danced around a little bit in the aisle), I thought, "I'm going to start a love affair.  With myself.  And I want all the women of the world to start a love affair with themselves, too."

What if you would do anything, give yourself anything, and love yourself without measure so you could hold on to yourself and the truth and beauty of who you are?  Not lose yourself because someone else doesn't feel you're worth the effort (or his own demons are so strong that he can't even see you).  Not judge yourself against someone else's yardstick and come up lacking, when . . . wait . . . you don't even agree with his system of measurement.

Let's take some of our favorite love songs, and make ourselves both the subject and the object.  Recast the lyrics of any love song so that the "you" is yourself. {tweet this}

Not give up on yourself.  Not sell yourself short.  Not kick yourself when someone turns out to be not the man he kept saying he wanted to be.

No one else truly holds the magical potion.  It's inside of us.  And if it burns brightly enough inside of us, our entire world can see it and love us accordingly.

Here's the song (scroll down for original video).  Sing it to yourself (or comment with a favorite love song of your own):

Emotion In Motion Ric Ocasek I would do anything to hold on to you Just about anything until you pull through I'd hold on to you 'til the stars no longer wink I'd hold on to you 'til you figure out Just what to think, 'cos You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me I would go anywhere to meet up with you Just about anywhere for one rendezvous I'd hold on to you 'til the mountains crumble flat I'd hold on to you 'til you figure out Just where you're at You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me I would do anything to hold on to you Just about anything that you want me to I'd hold on to you 'til you take it all in stride I'd hold on to you 'til you want to stay here By my side You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me

Source: http://lyrics-a-plenty.com/e/emotion_in_motion.lyrics.php
I would do anything
to hold on to you
that's just about anything
until you pull through

I'd hold on to you
'til the stars no longer wink
I'd hold on to you
'til you figure out
just what to think, 'cause

you're emotion in motion
my magical potion
you're emotion in motion
to me

I would go anywhere
to meet up with you
that's just about anywhere
for one rendezvous

I'd hold on to you
until the mountains crumble flat
I'd hold on to you
until the figure out
just where you're at, 'cause

you're emotion in motion
my magical potion
you're emotion in motion
to me

I would do anything
to hold on to you
that's just about anything
that you want me to

I'd hold on to you
until you take it all in stride
I'd hold on to you
'til you want to stay here
by my side, 'cause

you're emotion in motion
my magical potion
you're emotion in motion
to me

otion In Motion Ric Ocasek I would do anything to hold on to you Just about anything until you pull through I'd hold on to you 'til the stars no longer wink I'd hold on to you 'til you figure out Just what to think, 'cos You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me I would go anywhere to meet up with you Just about anywhere for one rendezvous I'd hold on to you 'til the mountains crumble flat I'd hold on to you 'til you figure out Just where you're at You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me I would do anything to hold on to you Just about anything that you want me to I'd hold on to you 'til you take it all in stride I'd hold on to you 'til you want to stay here By my side You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me

Source: http://lyrics-a-plenty.com/e/emotion_in_motion.lyrics.php
Emotion In Motion Ric Ocasek I would do anything to hold on to you Just about anything until you pull through I'd hold on to you 'til the stars no longer wink I'd hold on to you 'til you figure out Just what to think, 'cos You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me I would go anywhere to meet up with you Just about anywhere for one rendezvous I'd hold on to you 'til the mountains crumble flat I'd hold on to you 'til you figure out Just where you're at You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me I would do anything to hold on to you Just about anything that you want me to I'd hold on to you 'til you take it all in stride I'd hold on to you 'til you want to stay here By my side You're emotion in motion My magical potion You're emotion in motion To me

Source: http://lyrics-a-plenty.com/e/emotion_in_motion.lyrics.php

No comments:

Post a Comment